Happy New Year’s everyone! I wish you all the best. Can you believe a new year has arrived?
How time flies…
Looking back, 2013 was a good year for me. It wasn’t without its struggles, but for every serious low there was an equally glorious high. Back on December 31st, 2012, I posted So long 2012…hello 2013, in which I talked about my goals for the coming year.
I had three things I wanted to accomplish:
1. Go to Europe. And I did! This past August I spent two amazing, life-changing weeks in England. I had the time of my life, and I hope I can visit again someday.
2. Get my novel into publishable state. This one I did not accomplish, however I have written more this past year than I ever have before, so that’s got to count for something.
3. Open myself up for love. At the beginning of 2013, I was rather scared of relationships. I wasn’t sure I was ready for one or if I could find someone I was willing to take the risk of being hurt with. But I followed my sister’s advice and allowed myself to take that risk and I have never been happier about a decision I’ve made. It’s opened me up to a world of possibilities and the most wonderful feelings imaginable.
So of my three goals for last year, I’d say I did pretty well. Two out of three ain’t bad, right?
Now that’s it’s a new year, it’s time for some new goals. So this year, this is what I want to accomplish:
1. I want to write more letters. Writing letters is a dying form of communication, but I feel like it is so much more personal and so much easier to keep and hold on to. Text messages, IMs, and emails can be written and gone without so much as a thought, but letters take time to craft and are something tangible to to keep and read over and over. Plus, who doesn’t like getting mail?
2. I want to expand my blog. Last year I had the goal of posting twice a week, and I did pretty good at keeping up with that. Every Friday I post a short story in Friday Fictioneers, every other Wednesday (when I remember to do it) I post a quote, and any other time I write about what’s going on in my life. This year I want to write more, share more art and be more involved with blogging in general. I’ve got a few ideas on how to implement that, but I don’t want to give everything away just yet!
3. I want to draw more. I truly enjoy drawing and art, but I don’t often make myself sit down and practice. To do this, I am going to try to post a sketch a week on my blog – that way I can accomplish two goals at once (see previous goal). I’d also like to look into take a class or two this year – in drawing, sculpture, animation, whatever. Just so long as I’m doing some art on a weekly basis.
4. I want to read the Bible. I am a religious person. My faith is important to me. Yet somehow, I’ve never read the book that plays such a big part in my faith. I’ve read excerpts, of course, but never all the way through. I’d like to tackle that task this year, and hopefully gain some fresh perspective doing so.
That’s it! Four new goals for myself, and a year to accomplish them. Wish me luck!
What about you? Do you have any goals or resolutions for 2014? Any big plans for the coming year?